Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MS Outlook - saving emails via drag & drop

Status
Not open for further replies.

officework13

Technical User
Aug 29, 2002
CA
I have numerous emails 500+ from various clients that i would like to save on disk so that i have them for future reference if required. ie (court case ...) rather than printing all of these on paper i would like to simply drag & drop using MS Explorer but i can not find which file all my emails are stored in to allow me to do this.
I have in the past simply saved each individual email as a "message format" but this is extreemly time consuming.
is there a simple way of saving all my emails as message format or a way of dragging and dropping them using MS explorer.

thanks.

as per
On the File menu, click Import And Export.
Click Export To File, and then click Next.
In Create a file of type click Personal Folder File (.pst), and then click Next.
In Select the folder to export from, click the folder you want to export. Click to select Include Subfolders if it applies, and then click Next.
In Save exported file as, click Browse to select the location of the PST to receive the data you are exporting. Or, type the path and file name, and then click Finish.

I tried that and it saved it as a backup. However i am confused about a couple of things as i tried to open or import the file.
1. After exporting i deleted the filed that i had exported from the Outlook inbox. when i went to import or open nothing came up. I also tried to export to a floppy disc and then open it up on a different computer and once again nothing happened.

How can i export these emails to a floppy or CD so that at a future time i can import them back into outlook.

as well is there a way to drag & drop them from a folder to a floppy disc without having to save each individual email.

Officework13,
Assuming you wish to take backups of the entire lot of emails which is stored by Outlook, here's what you've got to do.

1. Close any and/or all sessions of Microsoft Outlook. To be very sure that not a single instance of Outlook is running, press alt+ctrl+del and view the Close Program dialog window to see if Outlook is actice. If active, end that session(s).

2. Outlook usually stores all its messages, contacts, notes, folders, tasks, calendars, etc. in a single file usually named as PERSONAL.PST or OUTLOOK.PST.

3. This file is located (in almost all cases) at C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook.

4. If you have more than 500+ emails, the file size of OUTLOOK.PST would roughly be in the range of 200 MB to 350 MB.

5. Have this PST file copied onto a CD preferably with a thorough read&write testing process.

6. In case, you wish to copy this onto a separate PC which has been newly installed with Outlook, locate the directory of C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook, and then paste the PST file from your newly created CD. Please take extreme precaution while undertaking this exercise so as not to overwrite any important emails which might be stored in that PC. It is always advisable to rename the existing PST file on the target PC with any other name but with a PST extension if possible, before pasting.

I hope the above may be of some use to you. Best Regards,
Yours sincerely,
Udai.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back