Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MS outlook 2k7 does not open after installing desktop messeging

Status
Not open for further replies.

amilalex

Technical User
Nov 17, 2008
US
I have an issue with Desktop Messeging 5.0 and MS outlook 2007. After installing and configuring the desktop s/w outlook won't start. An dialog box pops up saying outlook has encountered a problemand needs to close and would only start normally after uninstalling the software. This is a callpilot 600 server.

Any thoughts/ideas?

I have also seen this issue. though i have seen it with call pilot 4.0.4.32 We have call pilot 201i server.

Do you have the w2k admin tools & the snap in for exchange system manager installed on your machine?

Did you perform an upgrade from 03 to 07 with call pilot desktop messaging attached to the default mail profile of 03?

If you answered yes to the first question there is a specific way to install it & get it working.

If you answered yes to the second question then remove office this includes any office service packs as well & call pilot completely, if you can, try to remove any remnants of call pilot from the registry. Reinstall call pilot first & then office 2007. that should work.

JoOord,

Do you have the procedure for getting the client to work if YES was the answer to your first scenario?

Question 1: It's a customer's pc and yes they do have w2k admin tools and snap in.

Question 2: Was not an upgrade it is a brand new installation.

Question 3: Yes I have the procedure from the documentation to install the client.

Ok. Below you will find exactly what I did to get this to work. The main issue is related to mapi32.dll files conflicting with each other.
This procedure was based off of a new build. You may be able to uninstall all the apps & get xp to a vanilla state or if you have system restore enabled, restore to a point prior to the win2k3 snap-in/exchange snap-in, call pilot, & office 2007.

Install the apps in this order:
1) win2k3 System tools
the install the exchange snap if it is needed
2) XP sp3
3) additional windows updates
4) MS office 2007
5) MS sp1
(I believe two is availble, but just install one for now)
6) Install call pilot.
7) Reboot.
8) add the call pilot to the default mail profile prior to configuring the user's email.
9) open outlook 2007
10) you should see the call pilot as the default profile.
close outlook
11) open control panel & click on the mail icon
click on email accounts
12) on the first tab click new & go through the process of setting up the exchange account for the user.
13) launch outlook 2007 & you will be prompted for your call pilot credentials & then outlook 2007 with call pilot with win2k3 tools will work.

In the event that this doesnt work you may have to fore go having the exchange system tools on the machine, the win2k3 admin tools can remain on the system.

OK I will try this procedure. Thanks in advance.

JoOord,

This procedure worked thanks for your input.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back