Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MS Outlook 2003 now takes forever to open mail

Status
Not open for further replies.

daisymatilda

Technical User
Jun 17, 2003
US
A couple of months ago we started having problems with Outlook taking a long time to open mail or perform any actions inside Outlook. This happens with most emails, not just those with attachments. It even occurs with emails from safe senders.

We have checked for spam, run Norton Anti-virus Corporate Edition 10.0. Everything appears ok.

This only occurs on one workstation. Have checked profiles, dns settings on server and settings within Outlook to see if anything has changed...again everything seems ok.

A couple of months ago we purchased a new logitech wireless keyboard and mouse, mx3100, blue tooth capabilities. We could never get it to work correctly, on phone with Logitech support and they sent out a new one, but we never installed it. Could there have been a conflict with Logitech software?

Is there a limitation to size of pst files? Could this be causing a problem.....ready to pull my hair out.

Any and all help is appreciated.

I'm not sure about the Logitech Wireless. But there are some issues with Norton Corporate 10.0 that cause it to run Doscan.exe in the background. It eats massive resources. I had it slowing down whole PCs not just email. Norton AV Corporate 10.01 resolved the doscan.exe issue. You may want to check that out. Easy to tell on a machien that is having your issue check the processes and if Doscan.exe is there I'd bet money that's your problem.

Aaron

Is there a limitation to size of pst files? Could this be causing a problem.....ready to pull my hair out."

What Microsoft says about .pst size limits.

"Microsoft Office Outlook 2003 has both a different format and a larger overall size limit for the personal folders (.pst) file than the .pst files that are in the earlier versions of Microsoft Outlook. In Outlook 2002 and earlier, the .pst files are in the American National Standards Institute (ANSI) format, and the overall size has a limit of 2 gigabytes (GB).

By default, .pst files are in the Unicode format in Outlook 2003. Additionally, the overall size of the .pst files has a limit that is more than the 2-GB limit that is imposed by the ANSI .pst files. By default, the limit for a Unicode .pst file in Outlook 2003 is configured to be 20 GB. For more information, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
832925 ( How to configure the size limit for both (.pst) and (.ost) files in Outlook 2003
As in earlier versions of Outlook, Internet Message Access Protocol Version 4rev1 (IMAP4) accounts and HTTP accounts use .pst files that do not use the Unicode format. Therefore, the .pst files for IMAP accounts or for HTTP accounts are limited to 2 GB."

With that in mind, I have had more than one user have issues with .pst files above 1 GB. 2003 does seem to do better with file sizes about 1 GB but I'm willing to bet the closer you get to 2 GB the more problems your going to have.

And keep in mind that the Exmerge tool for Exchange uses the ANSI version of .pst files. It cannot use the Unicode version.

Pat Richard, MCSE(2) MCSA:Messaging, CNA(2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back