Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MS Office Document Properties - How to access them with ASP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Technodweeb

Programmer
Aug 5, 2000
US
For a month I have been looking for a way to access the Document Properties of Microsoft Office data files (Word, Excel, PowerPoint). I want to be able to read the values of the Author, Title, and Subject items as well be able to write to other items in the same collection.<br><br>Has anyone been involved with this technique and can share some insight, or simply point me to some really good athoritative information. <br><br>Thanks in advance...<br><br>-greg<br><br><br> <p>Gregory A. Miller<br><a href=mailto:gmiller@geekpatrol.net>gmiller@geekpatrol.net</a><br><a href= On Patrol</a><br>

Have you tried creating ActiveX Dlls, to use the Windows API and other more programatic methods that ASP cant use?, then just use the ActiveX on serverside to allow ASP to grab this information from them? <p>Karl<br><a href=mailto:kb244@kb244.com>kb244@kb244.com</a><br><a href= </a><br>Experienced in : C++(both VC++ and Borland),VB1(dos) thru VB6, Delphi 3 pro, HTML, Visual InterDev 6(ASP(WebProgramming/Vbscript)<br>

Appreciate the thought but do you know of any specific references I can turn to to show how to get at this info, even from VB. I can probably figure out how to create an ActiveX control to do it but i can't seem to find out how to even get to them.<br><br>Thanks Much...<br>-greg <p>Gregory A. Miller<br><a href=mailto:gmiller@geekpatrol.net>gmiller@geekpatrol.net</a><br><a href= On Patrol</a><br>

I would have provided you with more details, if I myself knew how to get the properties you were looking for configured in MS Office utilities, my best bet would be to look in the registry, most of the properties are stored there. <p>Karl<br><a href=mailto:kb244@kb244.com>kb244@kb244.com</a><br><a href= </a><br>Experienced in : C++(both VC++ and Borland),VB1(dos) thru VB6, Delphi 3 pro, HTML, Visual InterDev 6(ASP(WebProgramming/Vbscript)<br>

Greg,<br><br>For your read information try using Index server. In ASP you can use the IXSSO.Query dll.&nbsp;&nbsp;It will run an Index Server search.&nbsp;&nbsp;If you have index server indexing your system there should be a System catalog you can run a query against.&nbsp;&nbsp;Index Server is nice in that it will index all Microsoft Docs.&nbsp;&nbsp;It will provide you all the read details you mentioned.&nbsp;&nbsp;For more info on how to go about setting up the scripts, check out this article:<br><br><A HREF=" TARGET="_new"> If you decide to use thier code make sure to sub the name &quot;System&quot; or the name of the catalog indexing your file system for the Query.Catalog property. )<br><br>As for the write access, I would need more info on what properties you are trying to write to.<br><br>Good Luck,<br>If you need more info feel free to e-mail me.<br><br>-Kris <p>Kristian Damkjer<br><a href=mailto:kdamkjer@gdsstudios.com>kdamkjer@gdsstudios.com</a><br><a href= Dragon Studios</a><br>Web Site Designer and Developer

dummkopf (hehe,cute),<br><br>Thanks for the Index server tip. I have been exploring that but have held on to the notion I can set the same properties I am reading. The specific properties I am wanting are any of those found when in Word (or other MS datafile) goto File and then Properties. Anything found under the Custom tab or the Summary tab. Read & Write...<br><br>I think the Summary tab is called something else when in Win98, and I can get that for you if needed once I arrive at the office this morning.<br><br>Thanks for everyones assistance...<br>-greg<br><br> <p>Gregory A. Miller<br><a href=mailto:gmiller@geekpatrol.net>gmiller@geekpatrol.net</a><br><a href= On Patrol</a><br>

Hi Technodweeb, I have problems with Document Properties of Microsoft Office data files.I want to read a value, the pages's number. Can you help me?.
Thank you

First of all can anybody tell me how to load a word or excel document using asp program(program if possible).

thankx
srikanth

Hi,
I've been launching a ppt session on the server where by I grab an instance of PowerPoint, open a presentation, then modify the file (query a db, add data to charts etc). The problem comes when saving the presentation file. I continually get &quot;Error accessing file&quot; when employing the SaveAs method.
Any thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back