Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MS office 2000 on NT 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

sonroda

IS-IT--Management
Feb 5, 2003
GB
I have just created a new user on our NT Domain.
The problem is when they try to open word/excel documents via NT explorer on the Network Drive - i get the message "file not found" and the application e.g word tries to open in the background.
If they open word program and then use fil-open a word file on Network drive it opens ?

What version? If 2000, go to Excel, in Tools>Options>General Tab. Uncheck "Ignore other applications." Restart Excel, then exit again, see if that helps at all. If not, uninstall Office, delete the office folder, and reinstall. That should clear it up.

Matt J.

Tried what you said and even re-installed Office but still encountering same problem - for all users on this particular machine
It is therefore machine specific ?

I have the same problem in NT workstation and Server.

It seems to be a permissions problem, because this problem appear only if you a are a simple user, if you are an administrator all work fine.

I find a solution, y have to make member of the administrator gruop each user with the problem, then log in, open the document (at that moment word will not open it, but the windows installer windows appear)

Put the office CD in the pc, let the installation end, and after that take out the user from the administrator group, and everything works fine.

Any other idea or workaround?

Tx

Carlos

I find a solution, i have to make member of the administrator gruop each user with the problem, then log in, open the document (at that moment word will not open it, but the windows installer windows appear)

Put the office CD in the pc, let the installation end, and after that take out the user from the administrator group, and everything works fine.

Any other idea or workaround?

Tx

Carlos

I had this problem as well ..
"Office" .. specifically Word is looking for the Data.msi
file. If you did a network install as the administrator,
I suggest you share that network folder as something like
"Office2K", then map a drive from the client computer to
the new share for each user. Then, as the administrator,
uninstall Office and reinstall from the network drive.

This should take care of the problem.

James Pietan
Alaska State Library

Put in Office CD - clicked on data.msi
"add remove features" - install, finish
This fixed the problem
Thanks for your help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back