Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MS NT 4 Workstation Recreated a USER PROFILE Security Problems 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 4, 2001
US
Yesterday, I tried to give a NT user internet access and now his machine is a mess.
When I tried to log him back in to the network it would not use his orig profile USER, instead it created a new profile USER.000. So I copied his USER profile to USER.000 and he can not access his Outlook, also can not access other programs. He said he can work locally. So, when I copied the USER to USER.000 the systems thinks it does not have the right security for USER.000. You can only access USER when you are logged on as administrator. Is there a quick fix for this. I will be upgrading him to WIN2000, but not for a couple of weeks. I put him back to DHCP,instead of hard coding an IP address and that works fine. I need to fix this problem quickly and can not find anything on the MS site. PLEASE HELP!!!

I think if I were doing it, I'd just delete the user and his profiles and start over from scratch (like he's a new user)...my experience has been that once a user's profile gets hosed up, there's not much sense in trying to fix it (unless you have unlimited time to devote to it)...good luck...:)

Quidos:
That was an idea, but how do I get his Outlook to work with all his info he had stored in it??

Can you get into his Outlook, if you can export a .pst file and after his new user is created import it again.

If you go to control panel\system and select the user profiles tab. You can use "copy to:" to move the user profile to user.000 and apply the appropriate security. This will take care of all the security issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back