Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MS Networking removed by Rockwell 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ahoodin7

Programmer
Jun 16, 2004
US
I use a W98 laptop Dell Inspiron 5500 to debug code at work. Recently a PLC programmer borrowed my laptop and installed Rockwell Softwares RS Logix/Links on my laptop. The installation pretty much wiped out networking. Since then I have un-installed RS Logix and re-installed the network. The problem remains.

1. MS Network Client will not show up. I only get the Windows Logon.

2. I get a note that says "Support tuner found a problem with networking".

3. Pings comes up: Ping failed error code 10043 looked up code = WSAEPROTONOSUPPORT.

How do I fix this without re-installing Windows 98?

ahoodin

Update:

I have re-installed the TCP/IP Protocol and ping works.

The laptop still has a windows logon instead of the MS Client Logon.

Strangely enough I noticed that if I removed the PCMCIA card and replaced it, Plug -N- Play finds the hardware and loads the driver. Then it logs on the network and I am back in business. I would spend more time on the problem, however the laptop is now functional for my uses. Anybody know how to disable device drivers outside the device manager? The driver does not appear disabled after startup in the device manager, it just doesnt show up at all.

Start up in safe mode, look at the device manager and remove any duplicate or not needed devices. 98se at times places duplicate devices and the sure way to remove them is in safe mode. Guess Windows gets confused when more than one device is listed.
The other day I found duplicate devices in the network properties and remove the 3 com nic card from the properties when the computer would not access the net. After removing the duplicate network card from properties it accessed the network fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back