Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MS MN500 Wireless Access No ISP Found

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark59

MIS
Jul 7, 2000
US
I have a Microsoft wireless router MN500 connected to a cable modem connected to a Dell desktop running W XP Pro upgraded from W98 with a RJ45 NIC installed 256 MB RAM. Also a Sony Vaio laptop with XP home and a Microsoft wireless notebook adapter MN520 and an Acer laptop with a Centrino and built in wireless capabilities. All systems and functions for wireless worked previously.
The problem, the Acer had to go back because the CPU fried and came back just like it was new. The Sony had MSN installed and the client wanted it removed. After she worked with the MSN tech and removed it she lost all connectivity and network access. The Dell when I arrived had Internet access through the router and cable modem. I decided to start fresh. I turned off both laptops and uninstalled the software for the MN500 wireless router. When I go to install, I follow the instructions to the T and it loads and installs it as the base station but when I get to Internet connectivity it will not find it. Remember, I had Internet through the modem. I have followed the troubleshooting steps and shut down Norton AV, uninstalled a pop up blocker they had and checked for disabled firewall, it is off. All other settings, network log on file and print sharing and TCP/IP are in properties. The main issue seems to be getting the base station to find the Internet connection. I have to check the proxy server settings when I go back. Is this the only solution that would cause this or are there other solutions.

Sounds like a MAC issue. Many cable systems register the MAC or physical address of the first connected workstation, and you need to call them to authorize a machine or device with a different address.

Most cable/broadband routers permit the 'cloning' of a MAC address for this reason: so that the router appears as if it has the MAC address of the primary workstation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back