Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MS installer runs before any officeXP app will run, WHY?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dean2002

IS-IT--Management
Mar 10, 2002
CA
I have run into a situation that when a user logged onto the domain ( member of domain users ) trys to launch a Office XP app ie: word/excel, a dialog box appears saying that it's preparing to install. This is a fresh install of OfficeXP and it was completed on 3 machines, the other two machine don't have problems. The program DOES open but after about 10 seconds.

When I log on as the admin of the domain using this computer I can launch the officeXP apps without any delay.

Have you seen this? Your help is Greatly appriciated!

Thanks

Dean

Was office installed while logged in as the admin? Sounds like a security issue, same thing happens with office 2000. The installer is looking for the original installation files, to be specific, the data1.msi file. It should prompt you for the location of the file. You can point it to the directory containing the .msi file and shouldn't have that message any longer.

This can also happen if software has been assigned to a user instead of a computer. If you deployed office XP and assigned it to a user, when he logs on the software is deployed. This enables a user to go to any PC in the domain, and get his same software.
If the software has been assigned to the computer, they should only have the software deploy on first startup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back