Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ms-exchange smtp cannot send email from an external client application

Status
Not open for further replies.

lydiagal

MIS
Aug 28, 2002
SG
Hi. :(

Currently the network is setup as..when the clients login to the network, they can retrieve their email using ms.outlook automatically without having to key in their username and password to retrieve email. and in ms.oulook there is no need to specify the smtp and pop address as it auto links to exchange.

Recently we have another application installed. this application has an external email client called ASPEmail which sends out mail via SMTP. We just need to specify the SMTP host address. We specified a valid email address and the mail server name. But they prompt 'Unable to Relay'.

Could it be because that ASPEmail client is residing at the server and the exchange server administrator doesn't have an email account to send?

How do I configure exchange to allow this ASPEmail program to send out mail without having to login to the network?

Or..is there another solution?

APpreaciate your help!

You dont have relay permissions set up. Most likley you have them set to "ONLY THE FOLLOWING....CAN RELAY" and the list you have is blank. Change the setting to something along the lines of AUTHENTICATED USERS CAN RELAY. i dont know the exact name of the setting, i dont have my exchange server handy, but this will give you an idea of where to go.

The relay settings can be found in your exchange system manager, under the smtp server properties. If it weren't for users, computers would work just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back