Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MS EXCEL CONVERT DATE

Status
Not open for further replies.

nike23

Technical User
Apr 1, 2004
US
In Excel 2000 how do you get the correct date to appear. For example you type in 04010 then format the cell to a date it changes it to 10/18/2009. Is this possible without having to type in the / or .?

Hi,

Dates in Excel are just numbers ---

like today is 38078.

You can use menu item Format/Cell/Number Tab and either select a Stock Date or format your own CUSTOM date.

For instance 38078 can be formatted
[tt]
Display - Format
Thursday - "dddd"
Thu April 01, 2004 - "ddd mmmm dd, yyyy"
[/tt]
:)

Skip,

Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884

No because in Excel, a date is actually a number. So, what you are entering is a number. Now if you want, you can enter:

'030704

in say cell A1 for 03/07/04, you can then put:

=DATEVALUE(LEFT(A1,2)&"/"&MID(A1,3,2)&"/"&RIGHT(A1,2))

In say B1 and it will give you the date you are looking for.

[Blue]Blue[/Blue] [Dragon]

If I wasn't Blue, I would just be a Dragon...

I should have continued that Excel RECOGNIZES when you enter 4/1/02 that this is a date in the form of your regional settings and determines that 4 is a month, 1 is a day and 02 is really 2002 and CONVERTS all that to a NUMBER and FORMATS the cell to DISPLAY it as a DATE.

Skip,

Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back