Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MS Excel & Novell

Status
Not open for further replies.

JBN

MIS
May 31, 2001
US
Have a problem where certain Excel files suddenly cannot be opened up from the Novell network. If that same file is placed on the desktop, it opens no problem. This does not pertain to all Excel files. We are using Office XP with sp2.

It does not work either way.

The error message states that the file may be ready only, write protected or the server is not available, which is not the case for any of those. I already tried the repair to no avail. I will give your other suggestion a shot.

Did the regedit thing - did not work.

Let me ask you this.
Can you go to that location via Windows explorer and open ANY file at all? Can you copy a file TO or FROM it?

Anne Troy
Word and Excel Macros
Coming soon: wX

Yes, to all. This problem is limited to only about a handful of files, all the others are fine. The ones that I cannot open, if I copy the file and rename it to Word, I can open it, change it, save it. Change it back to Excel and I can no longer open it.

"Change it back to Excel"

Sounds to me like people HAVE opened these in Word and saved them.

Instead, open them, then Table-Select-Table, copy. Paste into an Excel file, fix a bit and save (you'll lose the formulas and will have to recreate) the new Excel file.

Better yet, find yourself a backup of these files from the IT guys...

Anne Troy
Word and Excel Macros
Coming soon: wX

Hi I'm one of the IT guys. This particular user recently had her PC changed, she went from Windows 98 to 2000. These particular files also don't open on any other 2000 or XP machines, but they open fine on all 98. I am trying to find a security setting somewhere that would cause this to happen. I have not found anything yet though. Any thoughts?

Is the full path to the file over 218 characters?
Try to move the file to another folder on the network or rename the folders so the full path to the file will be shorter then 218 characters.

Nick Mualim

No, the character path is not that long. I tried moving it to another directory (to the root) and the result is the same. I found out that these particular files were downloaded from the web and are the only ones with this problem.

Oh I can assure you the learning is mutual Anne. :)

Regards
Ken.................

Well, this didn't work. We already had it set to the suggested fix. And the beat goes on. . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back