Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MS Edge - slow / hangs / what's wrong? 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

1DMF

Programmer
Jan 18, 2005
GB
Hi,

I have a hex core i7 clocked @4.5GHZ , 16GB 2.8GHZ DDR4 Ram and a 256GB Samsung XP941 SSD, plus 2 x nVidia GTX760 MSI OC'd in SLI mode.

Yes basically my machine kicks ass!

So why does Windows 10 run like a total dog, it's slower than Vista was on a core2duo with 2GB ram and a standard HDD.

And as for MS Edge, it hangs, pages take ages to load, half the time I give up as nothing happens when you try to type into the address bar or search box.

The Edge browser usually freezes especially with more than two tabs open and I have to task manager kill it, I usually give up and use Firefox.

Is anyone else finding Windows 10 and particularly MS Edge a pile of doo doo?

Thanks,
1DMF

"In complete darkness we are all the same, it is only our knowledge and wisdom that separates us, don't let your eyes deceive you."

"If a shortcut was meant to be easy, it wouldn't be a shortcut, it would be the way!"
Free Electronic Dance Music

Is anyone else finding Windows 10 and particularly MS Edge a pile of doo doo?

Fortunately, due to circumstances entirely within my control, I do not need to directly deal with Micro$haft products at all, however based solely on several vicarious experiences of talking others down, and away from the Edge, back on to terra firma with Opera or FireFox I can say the answers are;
In order: Yes and yes.

I have a well rehearsed script just ready and waiting for the moment when the opening line of the conversation is:

"I don't know what has happened to my computer, but, .... .... ...."

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?
Time flies like an arrow, however, fruit flies like a banana.
Webmaster Forum

IDMF,

Having just recently started installing Windows 10 I have found similar situations. One area that I would check is the feedback to M$ while you browse, work, etc.
Get there by clicking Start, Settings, Privacy then starting at the General tab - read down the options. If any are set to ON then you might want to consider changing them to Off. It seems M$ wants to send a tremendous amount of your habits and selections back to itself. And most of it in real-time.

Good luck and if you find out the reason, please post your result.

It is not really a problem with edge or the processor. The bottleneck is the network. W10 live tile apps really hammer the network so if you're on a slow connection, it looks like edge is dragging its heels. Try switching off all the live tiles.

Thanks Chris, always enlightening.

@BobMCT - I thought I had gone through everything I could find that says report this, or send that and switched it off. Think I need to look further, I swear it's this NSA snooping crap slowing it down!

@xwb - my home network is a wired power-line networking 200mbs system attached to a 150mbs fibre optic internet connection, do you still think the tiles are slowing it down? (oh I also removed all the active tiles other than weather from the start menu?)

"In complete darkness we are all the same, it is only our knowledge and wisdom that separates us, don't let your eyes deceive you."

"If a shortcut was meant to be easy, it wouldn't be a shortcut, it would be the way!"
Free Electronic Dance Music

do you still think the tiles are slowing it down

It's not so much the physical connection to the Internet or the traffic flow, that is the 'issue', it is most often the sheer number of TCP connections that are made, that overwhelms the network card and/or the router, particularly the number of embryonic connections aka "half-open connections". So anything that repeatedly tries to 'phone home' can eventually bring the machine to a crawl, even if it never actually transmits a single byte of data, and (obviously) the more individual processes there are making connections to remote 'listeners' the quicker it happens.
If Micro$haft (as a collective) had a clue about the real world, they would have made their so-called 'telemetry' processes connect to one single point to 'report in', then the fact that they were there would not have aroused anyone's suspicion with regards to what they were up to, it would have been seen as just as innocuous as the BITS (Windows Update) traffic is generally. The fact that they make many connection to many different servers is what made people suspicious in the first place.

If you run a BitTorrent client (all legal open-source stuff [thumbsup2] guys) you will know that you can 'kill' the local machine far quicker with excessive connection limits than can be done with data transfer.

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?
Time flies like an arrow, however, fruit flies like a banana.
Webmaster Forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back