Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MS DOS Prompt

Status
Not open for further replies.

LMOORE

Technical User
May 24, 2000
US
During boot-up, my son's computer displays a line: EMM386 not Installed - XMS Manger not present. Then, instead of opening windows, the MS-DOS Prompt box appears with a statement that Specified Command Search Directory Bad. The box then contains the C:\Windows prompt and in order to access windows, you must type exit.

I have not made any changes to this computer and to my knowledge, neither has my son. I am running Windows 98. What could be the problem?

You have a config.sys active on bootup.
Is your 98 an upgrade from windows3.1?
It also indicates that the emm386 is missing from where it should be.
Also suspect that the msdos.sys has a line bootgui=0. Ed Fair
efair@atlnet.com

Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply.

Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

My guess would be that you've installed a cranky game or something that has written an autoexec.bat and/or config.sys file (no offense meant there - I meant the game is cranky!).

Try booting up, when you get the command prompt, type

cd\ [enter]

to get to the root of c:, then

ren autoexec.bat autoexec.duf [enter]
ren config.sys config.duf [enter]

And reboot.

Win 98 shouldn't need an autoexec.bat or config.sys, although if what I say is true, whatever naughty game is installed might not work - you may need to make a .pif file to get it going.

Alternatively I might be talking complete rubbish, in which case retype the two commands in reverse (e.g. ren autoexec.duf autoexec.bat) to restore what you had before.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back