Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ms-dos and fdisk

Status
Not open for further replies.

baha

Programmer
Apr 16, 2002
US
Hi,

I have a little problem with my new pc. My brother upgraded to P4, and gave me his P3-800 machine. I installed NIC card, sound, modem and hard drive, everything else was already there.

Now i want to install OS, I created a system disk, but i could not find fdisk.exe on my notebook, so i searched it on internet, i found 2 of them. Then i do fdisk in MSdos on my new PC it says "Wrong MS-Dos version". The Bios is running and recognising all my hard and cd drives. Where i can get some msdos or what i am doing wrong?

Thanks

Use a boot disk from your brothers machine (should have fdisk as part of the system files included) to run fdisk and remove all partitions. Then install your OS. Part of the install should automatically create the new partitions that are needed.
What are you attempting to take off? And what are you attempting to put on?
Ed Fair
unixstuff@juno.com
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

I can not use boot disk from my brothers machine, becouse he formated his hard drive and installed new OS.

The hard drive i instaled to my PC is formated too, I formated it on another machine at work. Maybe the problem is becouse i formated it to NTFS. I do not know. The hard drive is clean and has nothing there.

I have Win XP on my notebook, so i created boot disk on Win XP, i could not find fdisk, so i downloaded it from internet.

I went to Microsoft web site and created 6 floppy disks for instaling winXP. I used them on my pc, but after floppy 4 it gave me an error.

I hope that helps.

You cant just download winxp without a license number to use for the install unless you are doing something illegal. If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

You might try for a 98se version. Think they have fdisk on them.
The NTFS will probably show as non-dos for removal purposes.
Ed Fair
unixstuff@juno.com
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Thanks for replies, i will try bottdisk.com, i hope it will help. Regarding Win XP, i downloaded six floppy disk setup program from offisial MS site. It is used if your computer's cdrom is not recognised yet, so u can start the downloading process with floppies, after that it is supposed to recognise cdrom, and you can start using win xp cd, nothing illegal, and i found it on bootdisk.com.

I downloaded some msdos from bootdisk.com, but they were image files, i will try them later. I do not think boot disk for win 98se had fdisk, but i will check again.

Thanks very much again.

As Ed asked - what o/s are you putting on this machine. If its win9x/ME you'll need a boot disk to fdisk. If its 2k/XP you can boot from install CD and use tools supplied to remove/create/format partitions.

PS. Remember you can't use your notebook's XP install disk/key for this PC (as its already activated on notebook).

I want to go with win2k or xp, i have a new xp home edition. The problem is my PC recognises all cdroms and harddrive, it shows them as master or slave in the BIOS. But i can only access floppy drive, if i type c:, d:, etc, it says No drive found. I think the letters are not assigned yet.

Is there any way to make my PC to recognise my cd rom as well. I put XP disk in the cdrom, it spins, but does nothing.

Thanks.

You may have the capability of making the CD part of the boot order in the BIOS. You would put it at the top of the order. then the CD would boot and proceed to make the install.
If you don't have the option, then you've got to go the long way. Ed Fair
unixstuff@juno.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back