Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MS Access

Status
Not open for further replies.

faisul

IS-IT--Management
Nov 17, 2000
NO
Could someone please help me.

I have a ms access database in which i insert scanned images. (they scan automatically into the database, when I select the field)

What I need to know is, where do the images get saved on my computer, cause I am embedding the image into the database.

I can't seem to fing it any where on the computer. Does it get saved directly into the database and if so in what format.

Please, please someone help

Faisul

I'll be honest with you, that's one of the strangest things I've heard. Do you know what format they're being saved as? If they were jpegs for example, you could do a search for *.jpg and see what comes up. That would give you the file path.

I assume there's no way to ask the database designer how it works? Kevin
slanek@ssd.fsi.com

from what you say, I believe they are going straight INTO the .MDB file. Test it out, Look at the size of the .MDB, scan in a document, and then check the size again. I've had times when I was going to import the image into the database, but thought better of it and just linked to the path of the file on the HD.

Hope this helps.

Terry M. Hoey
th3856@txmail.sbc.com

Ever notice that by the time that you realize that you ran a truncate script on the wrong instance, it is too late to stop it?

Definitely sounds like the db programmer has embedded them as DAO files. This balloons the mdb file. Better to save them to disk and point at them. If you really want to know what happens, check out the module / code behind the form and it will tell you. If you are brave.

I've never been a fan of having images in my databases. If it were up to me, and I HAD to have images in a database, I would store them in a separate "image" database and point to it from my main db. Kevin
slanek@ssd.fsi.com

Sounds like these images are getting saved into a field in one of your tables. You can open the table and see. (You wouldn't see the picture, just the name, I believe.) And I have to agree, I bet they're embedding INTO your database, which may be affecting its size quite a bit, or not too much--depends on the picture format and how many, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back