Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MS-ACCESS

Status
Not open for further replies.

gvishal

MIS
Oct 9, 2001
US
Hi,

i am failry new to the advanced features of MS-Access. although i do understand how access works, i donot know how to write the queries in visual basic.

Please tell me where should i start. I use MS office 2000 and i donot find the help feature very useful or interactive.

thanks
Vishal

Vishal,

If you go to the query tab on the Database window and click >NEW then >DESIGN the Query By Example (QBE) window will open up. Also, an ADD dialog box will let you select tables to include in your query.

When you select a table to include, a list of its fields appears above the QBE grid. As you drag field names onto the grid, they become fields in your query result. Switch between design view and table view to see how changes you make on the grid affect the results.

If you right click on the gray area above the QBE grid, you can select "View SQL". This will show you the SQL that is being automatically created to run your query. Going back to the design view and adding criteria to your fields will change the results (Form View) and the SQL.

I've found this to be a good way of getting comfortable with SQL because I can see the results of the query (and the SQL) without generating the error messages I'd get when I just tried using SQL from the start.

HTH

John

Vishal

You need to buy a book. It is not sensible to try and pick it up by trial and error. VBA for Access is very rich but ridiculously arcane mike.stephens@bnpparibas.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back