Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MS Access VS. Crystal Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.

mike14

Technical User
Jun 23, 2001
US
My point of sale software allows me to access my data files with these two products to create additional reports. My question is: which is easier to learn? I have limited Access reporting experience, and no Crystal reports experience.

All reponses are appreciated.

Thanks

Don't know whether you've had a reply. If you have Access, suggest you use this. The Access query into report cycle is intuitive and you'll find that learning Access gives you an ability to manipulate data to a greater extent than Crystal Reports will. With Access, if you learn how to use Visual Basic, you can do most anything.

hope this helps

On the whole I agree with the above. Access is more versatile (as it is not just a reporting tool).

However, you might want to look into Seagate Info. This is the Crystal reporting solution. This helps to solve the problem of distribution of information in a very easy way. If you are churning out hundreds of reports - Access doesn't have a way to handle this well. With Seagate Info you would have a dedicated server doing everything for you.

If you just have a data source that a few people need to run or make reports then access is adequate. If it is more complicated than this then check out Seagate Info - but be aware that it does come with a price tag - so I suggest that this is for serious reporting solutions only.

Both are easy to learn for those inclined to do so, but I would say that Access appears more daunting to non-technical people.

Stew

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back