Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MS Access Version Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmk2z

Programmer
Oct 29, 2002
US
I have an Access 97 database that needs to be used by both NT and XP users. NT users can use it, but those with XP can not. Is there another version of Access which I can convert the db to so that both can use it?

If your access file is in 97, it doesn't matter what operating system your users have, what matters is the version of access they are using. Be sure that you are consistent. If necessary, you may need to make copies of your application for users with Office 97 and a different copy for users with Office XP.

Thank you. I believe those with XP have Access 2002. The db will be on a shared drive and that single copy will be used by the different people. I guess what I need to know is what versions of Access databases will work with Access 2002.

If you attempt to open an Access 97 file with Access 2003, it will ask you if you want to convert it. If you choose not to convert it, you will only be able to use that file in read-only mode. If you convert it, you've now got an Access 2003 file, which the Access 97 users will be unable to use.

If you attempt to open an Access 2003 or Access 2000 file with Access 97, it won't work at all.

Does this answer your question? My solution is to have a backend that is in access 2003, but then link to it with 2 different front ends. One in Access 97 and one in Access 2003, that way you can accommodate all your users.

By "back end," do you mean an Access table? By "front ends," do you mean Access forms? How would I actually link the 97 form to the 2003 table?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back