Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MS Access Version Control

Status
Not open for further replies.

WhoWasMises

Programmer
Feb 26, 2009
US
Hi everyone,

Is there recommended version control software that I can use for my database?

Thanks,
Cyrus

I found the below link on a stackoverflow post.

Someone there recommended using the undocumented commands that save objects to text files and can load them... I have played with it some to do my own thing along version control lines.

The one caveat I have noticed is that saved objects will not cross versions of access. Something saved in Access 2016 will not load in Office 365 Access... I think that is 2019?

Stackoverflow post:

I did not look at the project. As you likely know most version control software works with managing saved source files. This may or may not be adaptable to other Version control systems.. Although SVN does manage files.

Good luck.

I'm retired so it's been awhile since I used the wizards I created, so I may not have all of the info correct. But this is how I remember doing version control. To handle version control, I created a new database property and set the value of the property to the current date/time. As a result, at startup I could either check a flag to see if a new version of the database was available for that machine or check the property of the current database to see if it represented the date/time of the latest version of the database (latest version's date/time stored in a table). If a new version was available or the current database did not represent the current version, the startup routine would exit the current database, delete the current database, and copy the new version of the database to the user's machine, then startup the new version. All seamless to the user.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back