Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MS Access Template

Status
Not open for further replies.

appelq

IS-IT--Management
Dec 28, 2004
US
How can I create an MS Access Template?

I have an MS Access database that I have several forms, queries, and a module.
In general I want all of the New MS Access databases I create to start with these "Template" forms, etc.
What I do now, is create a blank DB, and then use GET EXTERNAL DATA to open my "Template" database and click each element I want to include in the new DB.
It would be a lot easier if I could create a new DB with a real MS Access Template, but I don't know how to create one or edit an existing one. I tried changing the file extension on the mdb to the template extension (a technique that works with Excel (XLS to XLT) but that did not work.

appelq

I don't think MS provides a facility to create Access DB template.
Possible ways are
1) Create a master db with your own table sets and import them to new db when ever required.(what you are doing now)
2) Save your forms/reports formats to a new format.
When you are in design view AUTOFORMAT button on Reoprt/form design tool bar.

I'm not sure how to get the auto format to do what I want.
one of my "Template" forms is used for Report Paramters
and has several elements:
My company logo, a Horizontal header box and a vertical shadow box (think of the standard Switcboard form, only with different colors and my logo); It also has two fields :
StartDate and EndDate ; and a control button labeled RUN which as some VBA code behind it.
I followed the Help screen on the AutoFormat, and it created a "ReportPrompts" format, but when I create an unbound form and try to apply the auto format, none of the form controls appear. I am assuming that only the default Format, Colors, and Border are applied.

Applying formatting means to apply color & style to the form not controls. If you need a copy of the form you have then import it from the master db.

OK, I must be missing something here, as the obvious answer (which I have frequently used for the same purpose) is so ‘obvious’.
Presume your template is cleverly named ‘Master.mdb’ (as mine is). Find this in file manager, highlight it, and right-click. Then click ‘copy’. I’ll leave the rest as an exercise for the reader.

Well, that's what I do now. I either:
1. Create a new Database, and then File | Get External Data | Import and pick the Forms, queries, etc. I want to copy in.
OR
2. Copy the Template.MDB file to the new filename and modify that.

However, it is much easier when you use Access Templates.
Example: Template reside in C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Templates\1033\
There are several MS Access Templates. All are files with the extension .MDZ
All of the templates I've downloaded from Microsoft's site are .MDZ templates not regular .MDB database files.

I would like to be able to create MS Access Templates, post them to the above folder and then be able to create new Databases based on the template. I have not found a method to do this.

I would love to hear if anyone has found a way to create these templates.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back