Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Ms access SQL to Native SQL conversion

Status
Not open for further replies.

hengsin

Technical User
Mar 26, 2003
MY
hi, just want to make sure is it my conversion is correct regarding the MS Access SQL and "Native" SQL conversion regarding the join:

Here is the SQl from MS Access

FROM (ASIA.PROD_ORDER_DETAIL_ASIA INNER JOIN ASIA.PART_ASIA ON (ASIA.PROD_ORDER_DETAIL_ASIA.BUSINESS_UNIT_ID =

ASIA_PART_ASIA.BUSINESS_UNIT_ID) AND (ASIA.PROD_ORDER_DETAIL_ASIA.PART_NUM = ASIA.PART_ASIA.PART_NUM)) INNER JOIN

CORP.BUSINESS_UNITS ON ASIA.PROD_ORDER_DETAIL_ASIA.BUSINESS_UNIT_ID = CORP.BUSINESS_UNITS.BUSINESS_UNIT_ID

and i converted into Native SQL as the following:

FROM ASIA.PROD_ORDER_DETAIL ASIA P, CORP.BUSINESS_UNITS C, ASIA.PART_ASIA A
WHERE (P.BUSINESS_UNIT_ID = A.BUSINESS_UNIT_ID AND P.PART_NUM = A.PART_NUM) AND
P.BUSINESS_UNIT_ID = C.BUSINESS_UNIT_ID

Hopefully another pair of eyes will giving me whether something is wrong.....

ANSI/ISO SQL uses INNER/LEFT/RIGHT/OUTER JOINs. Microsoft uses commas and specifies the join fields in the WHERE clause with bizarre *=, =*, *=* syntax. I prefer ANSI/ISO as it seems more explicit to me and doesn't confuse the join fields with the selection criteria, plus works on non-MS databases too.

It looks like your problems stem from table qualification where you specify the database, owner & table but inconsistently (underscore instead of dot); and then in the second example an error in table aliasing.

I would specify it as follows (using aliasing for clarity):
FROM ASIA.PROD_ORDER_DETAIL_ASIA PODA
INNER JOIN ASIA.PART_ASIA PA
ON PODA.BUSINESS_UNIT_ID = PA.BUSINESS_UNIT_ID
AND PODA.PART_NUM = PA.PART_NUM
INNER JOIN CORP.BUSINESS_UNITS BU
ON PODA.BUSINESS_UNIT_ID = BU.BUSINESS_UNIT_ID

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back