Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MS Access Security

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sher42

Technical User
May 25, 2007
US
I have multiple databases in a single folder. I am trying to learn how to secure a database. I used the Security Wizard to protect one of the databases. Now I cannot access any of the databases. A log on box opens with my user name and requests a password. I do not remember creating a password. The Security Wizard Report lists my name as a User under a Group named Admins but the password field is blank. There is also a user name admin with a 12 character password.

How can I access the databases? Can I turn off security, copy or convert databases so general access is available? I use MS Access 2003 Pro

Frustrated in learning??

Search for a Word document called swz_rptSecure.rtf. Access will have strongly recommended that you save such a file. My version is 2000, so there may be some differences in naming.

How are ya Sher42 . . .

What version access?

Calvin.gif
See Ya! . . . . . .

Be sure to see FAQ219-2884:

Unless you really don't care about your security, this is a last resort option. So definitely try to find the file Remou suggested. Also it may not work at all.

I've never used the security wizard but...

If Admin or the users group has has at least Read Design and Read Data permission to everything, you should be able to import everything into a new database file using a different or default workgoup.

Note: The admin user and users group is the same accross all workgroups. The default group ADMINS however is different accross each workgroup.

Have a look at the stuff on my site:
DEFINITELY read the white paper before doing anything with security.

---
Jeremy Wallace
ABCDataworks
You can find us on the web, and my e-mail is fairly easy to guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back