Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MS Access on Web based servers security and encryption

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 5, 2005
US
I have the desire to put my database on a web server. There are companies out there that host them.

I am however concerned on the security of the data on the server and the transmission of the data from them to my sites.

What options should I ask for to ensure that my data is safe from point a to b.

Anyone done or doing this?
I wouldn't mind at all using a SQL Server DB in Lieu of Access... but how do I connect/encrypt data?
Thanks

The database itself would not be accessible to the public. You would most likely be writing ASP or ASP.NET web pages, which have code for connecting to the database and retrieving data. It is pretty much up to you how safe your data will be, because the primary way for a hacker to compromise your database will be through your web pages (for example, via SQL injection attacks).

Joe Schwarz
Custom Software Developer

There are many ways to ensure your data stays secure (you can google the topic and fine lots of ideas) but the best place to start would be with the company you choose to host your site. Talk to them about security. They can tell you exactly what they can and can't do and then you can choose what other precautions to take as well.

Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back