Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MS Access, multi-user, misdocumentation?!?!????

Status
Not open for further replies.

mycotropic

Technical User
Jul 9, 2001
US
Good morning oh gurus;
We are in an NT environment, we have two Access programmers and about 5 users. Our obvious problem is the error message:
"You do not have exclusive access to the database, your changes will not be saved.

OK; the data entry folks are in good shape
The programmers are not.

We browsed around and Microsoft pretty clearly indicated that Developer/VSS is a combination that will allow us to check out queries/tables/forms to work with, then check them back in so others can use them.

We installed VSS on the server(remote instillation from my machine). We installed it on both of our computers.
We saved the database as a project.
Now when we open the database we see the little locks.
We can check out a file and change it.
As soon as we DO that however it locks the database for everybody else.

I need to know a couple things here;

Will VSS actualy do what the documentation claims and let us check out the various parts of the database while others use the rest?

If it will do that; HOW?!?!!!?? I have spent HOURS trying things and reading pages of microsoft help pages - no luck at all.

If it will NOT do what it purports to; HOW DO YOU DELETE IT!!!!
I can have run the remove programs utility on both machines. With VSS uninstalled the server STILL shows the little locks and will not let us make any alterations to any of the files. There seems to be no way to get this thing off the server however(which I assume is the problem). In an attempt to do a remote uninstall from my machine I reeinstalled VSS. It not only remembered my PASSWORD without prompting, it remembered the locations of the VSS files on my machine. This sounds like it never really uninstalled at all........

PLEASE help - I either need to know how to make VSS do what the documentation claims or how to get RID of it!!!!!

Thank you for any help.
This is very irritating.

Greg Kinney

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back