Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MS Access-MS Excel integration corrupt dates

Status
Not open for further replies.

tranchemontaigne

Technical User
Apr 26, 2004
US
Environment: Windows XP, MS Office 2000

Scenario: I have a code block that takes the results of a recordset and stores the values within an array of type variant. Results from the array are then written to cells in an MS Excel worksheet.

Problem: When dates are retrieved from the array and written to MS Excel, any dates that preceed 1/1/1930 are altered by adding 100 years. For example, 6/24/1912 becomes 6/24/2012 when written to MS Excel.

Question: Does anyone have a solution or tip I could use to overcome this bizarre behavior?

Use a four digit year (ie include the century)

Hope This Helps, PH.
FAQ219-2884
FAQ181-2886

Why would you use ambiguous data?

Check out "So what happens when you enter a Date or Time into Excel?" in faq68-5827.

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my old subtlety...
for a NUANCE![tongue][/sub]

Here's the solution

I altered the function that generates the dynamic SQL to include the following line of code:

"NVL(TO_CHAR(DECD_BRTH_DT,'MM/DD/YYYY'),' ') AS DOB"

Dates in Oracle are stored as a date data type. Regardless of how dates are stored, Oracle seems to always return date values as a string. Oracle queries can be fed 4 digit years, but Oracle date results are by default returned as strings with 2 digit years (e.g. '31-DEC-29'). MS Excel 'automagic' then dots the T's and crosses the I's to convert 31 December 1929, that became 31-DEC-29 in the query result set, into December 31 2029 when received into MS Excel.

All of this was confounded by my lack of Oracle experience to even anticipate this problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back