Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MS Access interface to Paragon Pervasive SQL 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darrylles

Programmer
Feb 7, 2002
GB
Hi,

Hopefully someone has tried this, but I ain't hopeful.

I'd like to develop an MS Access app. that can interface with our Paragon Pervasive SQL tables (via ODBC perhaps?).

By rights, our company 'owns' the data contained in the Pervasive tables, but will the Paragon Pervasive 'security' allow this kind of thing?

Possibly we'd need some kind of 'licensing' from Paragon to do this (if reqd. then no prob.)

Just like a few pointers from someone who's done this before.

Thanks in advance,

Darrylle

"Never argue with an idiot, he'll bring you down to his level - then beat you with experience." darrylles@totalise.co.uk

Yeah that sould be possible. You can set up DDFs and DSNs that can be used to access Pervasive Data via ODBC - I don't personally use Access myself but one of my colleagues use MSQuery to access the Pervasive Data using the DDFs and DSNs

Hope this helps....

You should be able to do this no problem. Pervasive has ODBC drivers that you can use to link tables to Access. As far as I know you shouldn't have any licensing issues either. One warning though, when we upgraded to Pervasive SQL2000 our existing Access queries got so slow they were unusable. If this happens to you, check out Datadirect technologies. They provide 3rd Party ODBC drivers for Pervasive. Our queries ran in about 1 minute(doesn't say much about Pervasive) Another gotcha to watch out for is Indexes. I'm not familiar with Paragon, but if it's anything like our leasing software, it's written with the Btrieve API, not SQL. When I tried to add a new index to a table to speed up my queries, our entire Leasing program had a hissy fit. I've done this in SQL Server thousands of times and nothing like that ever happened, so it must be something with the way the Btrieve API works. In some cases I just import entire tables into Access so I can add my own indexes and actually get some use out of the Pervasive tables. Good Luck!

Hi,

Thanks to both for your points.

As a note to your response MC regarding speed of data-retrieval using ODBC - are 'pass-through' queries perhaps a solution? (No experience with these, but I've come across this argument a few times).

Thanks again (both marked as helpful).

Kind regards,

Darrylle "Never argue with an idiot, he'll bring you down to his level - then beat you with experience." darrylles@totalise.co.uk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back