Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MS ACCESS field was truncated after importing Microsoft Excel Comma Separated Values File (

Status
Not open for further replies.

estersita

Technical User
Aug 5, 2004
US
Dear Experts,

Being in a process of importing Microsoft Excel Comma Separated Values File (.csv)file into MS ACCESS 2010 table I face an obstacle because a certain field was truncated.
Then I have configured the table with field Memo type instead of text 255 barrier. However, try as I might, the field is still truncated.
Is there any simple way to overcome this problem?

Thank you in advance!
Estersita

Hi,

First off, a .csv file is just a text file, regardless of its source.

Second, is there a COMMA in the data for the column you intend for your memo field?

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my OLD subtlety...
for a NUance![tongue][/sub]

SkipVought,

Thanks for the prompt response. I have just look at the file which is huge in Excel and used Find and select option to find comma if any. It was not found....

Estersita

Did you open the .csv file directly with Excel or did you generate the .csv file using SaveAs?

Skip,
[sub]

I was sent .csv and tried to open it with Excel.
System message said, “.csv may contain features that are not compatible with csv(comma delimited). Do you want to keep the work book in this format?
-to keep this format which leaves out any incompatible features, click Yes
-To preserve the feature, click No. Then save a copy in the latest Excel format"

Initially I clicked NO, but actually was unable to find the "latest Excel format". Available Excel versions were earlier than mine Excel 2010 while I do have Access 2010. Should I had to?

Finally I clicked yes.....

So you opened the .csv with Excel and then what did you do?

Skip,
[sub]

Then I imported the file from MS ACCESS 2010. It was not imported successfully. About 35,000 records were truncated .

I am confused. If the file is a .csv and you have it opened in Excel, how could the nuxt thing that you did be “I imported the file from MS Access...”

???

Skip,
[sub]

Sorry, I meant being in Access I imported source file into a table in the current database.

Now I tried another option. I link the data source by creating a linked table. There were no error anymore . Now the table looks OK. In this case I am not sure, howeve,r if I would be able to manipulate data properly as I never handled with linked table..Will I?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back