Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MS access database behind website

Status
Not open for further replies.

hondaman2003

Programmer
Mar 3, 2008
US
I have a small website that is hosted by GoDaddy.com, I have an access database that is tracking contact information submitted from a form. Currently, I have to literally copy the database to my computer, open a table see who has attempted to contact me, delete the records once I have looked at them, copy the database back over. There absolutly has to be a better way of doing this. I am very new at developing websites so please be patient with me but I am a quick learn.

My initial thought was to have another database on my local computer that has a linked table to the database on my website were I could just work off a form and mark each contact complete or just delete them. When i attempt this and browse out to the FTP site it will not even see it or it will give an error that the location does not exist.

Can someone point me in the correct direction if there is a better way or maybe help me do this if this is the correct way?

First, my suggestion would be to use a more web-friendly database than an Access database. If you are using a MS hosting package, then surely they include some sort of SQL database options. And if yours is a simple database/table, then it shouldn't take long to setup. If you've got a Linux package, which I highly doubt based on using Access [wink], then you could use a MySQL database. There are lots of resources out there on the different dbs and such, and of course other forums here better suited to web design questions. If you want to go that route, I'd suggest first checking your hosting package, and seeing if you want to stick with it, or whether you want to change. If you decide to go with MySQL for the database, you may very well be able to contact your Hosting provider and ask them to switch you to a Linux platform, and then go from there.. Or if you want to stick with the MS platform, I'd first ask them what they recommend. You could set up a SQL database on the website, and then link to it from your access database. Or better yet, if you don't really need a local database, you could just set yourself up a private web page for handling the management you're talking about.

--

"If to err is human, then I must be some kind of human!" -Me

I am completely with on not using access. I do have MySQL available as part of the hosting package. I am learning more about how to use it. Until I'm ready and have it setup properly I was hoping someone would know how to deal with this access database issue.

Whichever database you use, Access, MySQL, SQL Server, etc., basically the same solution would apply.

There's no way you are going to link an Access front end to your backend on GoDaddy - it just won't work.

This is really a website building question, not a database one. I would suggest asking in the ASP or ASP.NET forums.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back