Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MS Access chewing up memory

Status
Not open for further replies.

AnalystDBA

Programmer
Jan 2, 2002
AU
Hi All,
I have an application in Access and sometimes I get a Windows message telling me that Resources are dangerously low and I should close uneeded programs. I have an AMD Athlon XP1800 with 256MB DDR Ram. Its not the quickest machine around but its not exactly slow either. MS Access just has this insatiable appetite for using any memory it can get its hands on.

What I want to know is this.
Is there any way I can release unused memory that Access has allocated to itself? or are there any other things I can try to limit the amount of memory that Access is chewing up.
I just need the applications I write to be more efficient with memory.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Hi

First look to your application, are you releasing objects when you are finished with them? eg

Set Obj = Nothing

type statements to 'tidy up'

Regards

Ken Reay
Freelance Solutions Developer
Boldon Information Systems Ltd
Website needs upgrading, but for now - UK

AnalystDBA

Here are a couple of recent links to similar issues...

thread702-673193 per Ken's comment, you can free up memory by closing objects such as record sets. But there are also some known issues with Access.

Richard

And if that doesn't resolve the issue (we all know that Windows doesn't have the best memory manager in the world anyway, couple that with A.M.E.(Access Memory Eater) and you get a bad situation), you should probably look to a memory manager to pick up the slack where Windows and A.M.E. create problems. I use a Program called RamIdle. It functions as a memory manager so that you can designate exactly when to get more RAM and how much to get. This is not an advertisement just a solution to a problem I had on my system as well.

If I take a peek in your Windows, to fix a problem, does that make me a "Peeping Tom"? Hmmmmmmmmmm

Are you using Microsoft ME as your operating system ? I found that coding Access VB on an ME machine chewed up resources often to the point where Access crashed. When I upgraded to Windows 2000, the problem went away. Perhaps your problem is similar.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back