Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MS Access as Pervasive Front End

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Myers

IS-IT--Management
Dec 14, 2017
US
Can MS Access be used as a Pervasive Front End with read/write/insert access?

Short answer: It depends but probably.
Long answer: If you have an ODBC driver for Pervasive and can access your data through ODBC and your database is setup in a way that is Access can handle then you should be able to read/write data to the Pervasive database. For example, if your Pervasive table doesn't have a unique key, Access probably won't be able to insert / update records.

Are you having a specific issue? If so, what is the error / behavior?

Mirtheil

ODBC is set-up. We haven't tried to use Access yet to modify and insert, so far we only use it to read. I've tried using Excel to modify data in Pervasive but I always got an error, but yet I was able to use Excel via ODBC to inset and modify in a MS SQL Server database using the same method. So I just figured Access wouldn't work either. I've got a colleague who claims he can do it, so I sit back and wait to see it work. Maybe in the process I'll learn how to make Excel work as well.

What error were you seeing from Excel? I've seen it work from both Excel and Access. I've seen it fail from both too. A lot depends on the data itself.

Mirtheil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back