Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MS Access and Regression/Forecasting and Moving Average abilities

Status
Not open for further replies.

charliec

IS-IT--Management
Aug 28, 2001
US
I need to calculate a regression within MS Access but don't see how to do it. I also need to calculate a moving average (7days). Can Access do this or do I need another software program. Please tell me the commands.

It would be a simple thing to set up a function to do this. If you gave a little more detailed info I am sure someone would be happy to give you a couple of minutes of thier time to help you with this.

Most people here are not going to be able to give you a Moving average function in a few minutes or a few hours unless they just happen to link to SAS.

There is an ACCESS Statistics package available from FMS,INC. It is very good, has what you want, and is very expensive. I guess this depends on your requirements and your budget.

If you are interested check out Robert Berman
Data Base consultant
Vulcan Software Services
thornmastr@yahoo.com

To calculate your moving average you could use this in your query:

MovingAverage: DSum(&quot;AmountDue&quot;,&quot;tblData&quot;,&quot;[paymentdate]>=#&quot; & Format([PaymentDate]-6,&quot;mm/dd/yy&quot;) & &quot;# and [paymentdate]<=#&quot; & Format([PaymentDate],&quot;mm/dd/yy&quot;) & &quot;#&quot;)/DCount(&quot;AmountDue&quot;,&quot;tblData&quot;,&quot;[paymentdate]>=#&quot; & Format([PaymentDate]-6,&quot;mm/dd/yy&quot;) & &quot;# and [paymentdate]<=#&quot; & Format([PaymentDate],&quot;mm/dd/yy&quot;) & &quot;#&quot;)

It's not pretty, but basically it does a dsum of the AmountDue's which are between 7 days and today ago.

Not sure about the regression thing. I spent too much of my university life drinking beer or thinking about frinking beer!

B ----------------------------------
Ben O'Hara
bo104@westyorkshire.pnn.police.uk
----------------------------------

Ben

I are suitably impressed. Robert Berman
Data Base consultant
Vulcan Software Services
thornmastr@yahoo.com

First, the BIG disclaimer.

I have NOT tried this one.

In general, you can add functions in excel to any MS A. dbm by including the appropiate &quot;REFEREMCE&quot; to the excel library to your MS. A. Code library. You really need to study the function -paying particular attention to the argument list- and find out what the function is REALLY requiring. For individual values, it is generally just a value, for cell ranges, it is often an array.

If you are bold enough to try this, I would suggest that you start with adding the reference and then some easier functionsm to be able to relate the excel lingo to the Ms. A argunements which will work, then nove on to the more complex (A.K.A. Regression). AFAIK, excel's 'regression' is limited to the linear type, so if you need more sophisticated ones, you eould need to 'code' these in a module. This could be a significant issue, depending on the needs and background (e.g. math knowledge).

MichaelRed
m.red@att.net

There is never time to do it right but there is always time to do it over

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back