Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MS Access 97 and MS Access 2000 on same machine

Status
Not open for further replies.

JackeyCat

Technical User
Apr 13, 2001
US
Hi, we have a small group of people who have both MS Acc 97 and MS Acc 2000 on their machine. The 'Standard' is MS Access 2000, but until an old database is upgraded (long story there), they need to have both versions on their desktop. They launch both using shortcuts, so they get the version they need, but I notice that MS access 2000 performance on these particular peoples' machines is very slow (especially loading forms). On my machine which has only 2000, the forms load in 2-3 seconds, whereas on their machines they get hung up, or say "Loading Wizards....' in the status bar. Has anyone had any experience with this? Is this problem linked to the fact that they have both versions? Is there any sort of fix to get us through this until they upgrade and get off of MSA 97? Any help would be greatly appreciated!! Thank you!

Select the FAQs tab on this forum. There are a couple articles out there that address multi version Access. I have not read them, I'm just pointing you to them.

Have a great day!

In what order did you load them?
What OS ver are you in?

I run 97 and 2K both on my machine running 2000Pro.
(also VB6)
I originally did this under WinMe and ran into all kinds of issues especially with the VB install.

I found that I had to load 97, then 2K to get it to work correctly. Also install 97 in a directory other than the recommended. I left all associations with 2K and specified in the shortcut those that require 97 and all works well.
Rhonin
"a sharp mind is a sign of a well worn whetstone"

Hi, thanks both for the info!! I'll definitely check out the FAQs (my key word search didn't return what I was looking for!). Also, in terms of order, I believe 97 was installed first, followed by 2000 - although I will have to confirm that with the person that installed them. The OS is also Win2000Prof. But, I will try out your suggestions and hopefully the issue will be resolved! Thanks again for your help!

For a detailed discussion of this topic read Microsoft's Knowledge Base article Q241141 "How to install Access 97 and Access 2000 on the same computer". It solved all the issues I was running into.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back