Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MS Access 2003 Very slow on XP over a network

Status
Not open for further replies.

plcman

Programmer
Feb 17, 2001
GB
Hi

I have been trawling the net for two days looking for a solution to this, so I hope that somebody has some original ideas.

I have a Small business server 2003 with a access db backend installed. On the network I have 10 XP sp2 clients, though until I solve this problem I only have one running.

The client has the front end of the db installed. The problem is that the database is very slow.

I have bought the database home and installed the backend on a win98 desktop and the frontend on a XP sp2 machine and have the same slow result. When I use the win98 backend and a Vista frontend the database flys.

There is obviously an issue with XP and I have tried all of the optimisation stuff I found on the net but it hasn't got any better.

Does anybody have any ideas?

I am not personally aware of an XP problem. One more optimization technique you could try is to remove the "Perform Name AutoCorrect" option (Tools, Options, General tab).

This does not directly answer your question, but it may help. I have reports that open in a third of the time with this feature off.

Configure your AV software not to scan .MDB files on your data servers.

If at all possible, do not put MDB files on the same partition as documents.

There is a file sharing option I set in 2k3... It had to do with share locks or something like that. It has been years now.

I'm sure you would have figured this out by now, but if it's a standard mdb then I had a similar problem, it's got something to do with the account the db was created on. If you create a NEW back end file and import all of the back end data across then back up the old one somewhere else and then rename the new one the the old name it should solve the issue. You probably created the database on a local machine or something and transferred the back end across yeah?

Hope this helps, if you have already fixed it...no fowl.

Cheers

HI,

I have a similar set up to you, except that is XP Pro linking to Access 2000 tables on a server 2003. Ensure that the users have used the linked table manager to renew the direct links to the relevant tables.

:eek:)

> lameid (Programmer) 20 Mar 08 10:15
> Configure your AV software not to scan .MDB files on your data servers.

Ditto -- I had a problem like this when I upgraded our PCs a while ago -- using latest version of CA eTrust AV. I excluded .MDB files from scanning and it cleared the problem up. I went on later to exclude all network drives from scanning by PCs as an eTrust policy, as the server scans incoming and outgoing files anyhow -- this means PCs still scan email attachments from the great beyond, the interweb, etc, but all documents on network server are 'trusted' -- was particularly a problem with large Office files...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back