Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ms access 2003 disable / enable greyed out menu options in mde database window

Status
Not open for further replies.

patriciaxxx

Programmer
Jan 30, 2012
GB
How can I use vba code and presumable some api to disable / enable all greyed out menu options in ms access 2003 mde database window?

So that I can make and save changes in design view to forms and reports and create new forms and reports. I know vba code will not be accessible but that isn’t what I’m trying to accomplish.

I specifically want to achieve this using code and not any third party tools which claim to be able to do this.

You can't modify and save any forms or reports in MDE files. Code can temporarily change control properties but they can't be saved.

Duane
Minnesota
Hook'D on Access
MS Access MVP 2001-2016

Hi Duane

When you convert an MDB to an MDE several changes are made, among them are Form and Report menu options are greyed-out and the wizards for creating new Forms and Reports are removed.

It is indeed possible to reverse this behavior making those MDE Form and Report menu options NOT greyed-out and the wizards visible. Thus allowing Forms and Reports within an MDE to be opened in Design view, or new ones created, and controls to be added if so desired. These changes can be saved, you must take care not to make changes that will cause any existing VBA code to fail, as the VBA code does remain inaccessible and cannot be changed in any way. You can associate any changes you make with Macros if you wish but not VBA. You would then need to reset that MDE back to its proper state i.e. Form and Report menu options greyed-out and the wizards removed.

Whilst all this is possible I'm not sure of the code required to achieve it, I'm hoping someone here can help provide an example using code and not pointing me to third party tools which do it?

Patricaxxx,
Where have you seen this information? I believe there might be companies that will attempt to do a conversion from an MDE to MDB but I am not aware of a solution for doing this yourself without a tool.

Duane
Minnesota
Hook'D on Access
MS Access MVP 2001-2016

Hi Duane

It was something I was pursuing but having further researched it I believe your comments to be spot on. Sorry for any inconvenience and thank you for taking the time to answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back