Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MS Access 2003 - deploy activex control with centralised MDE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darrylles

Programmer
Feb 7, 2002
GB
Hi,

I have a centralised MDE (Access 2003) sat on a virtual server.

Most users have MS Access Runtime.

Is there any way that I can 'package' the MDE (on that server) so that it includes some specific ActiveX controls (e.g. TreeView) so that these Runtime versions can use it from their client machines?

What method is generally used - full MS Access on all clients? (Really!).

It isn't realistic / feasible to distribute to each and every client.

Any pointers much appreciated guys.

Darrylle

Never argue with an idiot, he'll bring you down to his level - then beat you with experience.

I use MS Access 2010 Package Solution, but have yet to work out how to included dependables.

For example I use PDF Creator to transform Word / XLS mail merges into PDF documents via the PDF API.

In references I have had to include it in my source code and thus is hardcoded in the Access ACCDR I roll out to users.

So I must ensure when ever a new user joins the company and we buy a new PC, it is on the list of 'must be installed' set up instructions (along with the Access 2010 runtime).

So I am looking forward to someone providing an answer to this if at all possible, but as PDF Creator has its own MSI installer, I thing this is outside the capabilities of the MS Access packager?

I have managed to include batch files, application desktop icons and additional reg_keys for trusted locations, but alas not how to include and install this PDF requirement :-(

Regards,
1DMF

"In complete darkness we are all the same, it is only our knowledge and wisdom that separates us, don't let your eyes deceive you."

"If a shortcut was meant to be easy, it wouldn't be a shortcut, it would be the way!"
Free Electronic Dance Music

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back