Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MS Access 2000 connecting to VB 6.0...Possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

spyder

Technical User
Jan 10, 2001
US
I'm new to programming...

I am trying to connect a MS Access 2000 database to an app in VB 6.0. I get a message telling me that it can't read the format or something like that??? What am I not doing right? I've connected other mdb's, but they are previous versions of Access. Can I download something somewhere to correct this?

Thanks for your help

Following threads may answer that question:
thread222-1962, thread222-10841, thread705-51560, thread709-51783, ... _________________________________
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is. [attributed to Yogi Berra]

Why do I get a 'cant be found' message when I try to open any of the suggested links (such as Thread222-1962) in a new window ? Also when ever I try to reply to any messages I always get taken back to the first page of these threads.
This site is very annoying!

Ted I haven't any clue why this is not working for you. Just clicking the Thread will take you there. This works fine for me for all suggested threads...

May be you should sent a message to the system adminstrator: Contact Us (upper right corner of this message). I'll do the same. _________________________________
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is. [attributed to Yogi Berra]

hi spyder
if ur using data control to connect to database..include DAO 3.6 object library ........it'll wrk fine

Hi rvBasic: Yes, just clicking will get me there but that is not the way people in a hurry use the web. If you open every link in a new window and drag it across to your second monitor (I have 2), you can save heaps of browsing time as it loads while you are reading something else. I can usually have 5 pages or graphics loading at the same time so I dont suffer from the World Wide Wait!
When I open a thread IN A NEW WINDOW I just get 'not found' as the site administrator is trying to be tricky and keeping us all in line.
Also this site always takes me back to the first thread if I try to answer someone from a new window.
I have complained to the system administrator but they dont seem to understand us poor Aussies with slow (56k) connections on the other side of the world.
I also have to add a _ to my handle when I answer otherwise I have to log in every time I answer someone because of the damm cookies that everone I know refuses to accept!
Very frustrating and annoying for no real reason!
Ted

Hi,
You might like to get the latest VB6 update release which puts Jet4 into VB6 for you.

Thanks all.

You see, I'm new to this and one of the lessons in my book was adding a database. So, for a final project, I created the database, and then tried to add it to the app. To my surprise the two were not compatible. I have since converted the database to .dbf. But, it doesn't work right. Hopefully, I get a good grade for effort.

I'm sorry, I can't let this one go.

Ted, I have a question -- have you ever seen such a well laid out site with such helpful people that participate in an interactive community anywhere else on the web? I haven't, and I take offense at you trashing it. I suggest you turn cookies on (they have a bad wrap, anyway, and provide alot of useful functions with no **real** security risks), and enjoy this site for how great it really is.

*steps off soapbox*

good day -

Sdyder,
Just a quick one fore you. A good due out there on ICQ showed me Dataenviroment.. So simple to create database connection. It does not seem t be mentioned very often but it is well worth setting it up.
Only thing it's only avaliable on Proffessional edition

Hi Link9: I am not 'trashing it' as you suggest. If I didnt think it was an excellent site as far as content, I wouldnt be using it. By constructive criticism I was hoping they would see reason and construct a more user friendly site.
Its just that a lot of people must be experiencing the same frustration and not bothering to reply to honest questions. There is no valid reason for the complexity I experience here and I cant understand why the people who manage this site do it the way they do for no good reason. There can't be any financial gain and a lot of people are missing out on having their questions answered.
It wastes so much time to read through the threads the normal way that I cant see many people bothering to read them all. I cant even use my normal handle to send this message!
Regards Ted

On a side note, I ran into this problem when i upgraded from vb5 to vb6. What i did was export my access2000 db to the previous version database. I belive you can find that in the tools menu.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back