Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MS 2007 WORD CRASHES ASUS NET BOOK WITH XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

dhar25

Technical User
May 4, 2001
US
My daughter in graduate school bought her a new Anus Net-book that came with XP and temporary MS word 2007 only. This net book does not have DVD-ROM either. She thinks the 2007 Word is not compatible with XP and seems be crashing during her exams and very upset with the netbook.

Is it ok for me to clean the XP up and and install her Windows-Vista with an external DVD-Drive?

Thank you in advance.

You may need to talk to the manufacturer about It. As a change in OS may void the warranty.

Alternatively you could simply uninstall Word2007, and try installing an older Office suite such as Office 2003.

Or even the very free OpenOffice.

----------------------------------
Phil AKA Vacunita
----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

dhar25 said:
Anus Net-book that came with XP

If it's having trouble with XP, it will choke and die with Vista. I can assure you there is no conflict between XP & Office 2007. If it's still under warranty I would look into service/replacement.

Tony

Users helping Users...

I agree with my two colleagues here, in that O2007 works flawlessly on/under XP, been using it since it came out...

and I agree with that VISTA will definitely cripple the netbook...

Phil (Vacunita), mentions installing O2003 or OO, both are less resource hungry then O2007, and that should be looked into... now if you settle for o2003, then look into the Student Version, as she is in college, it is cheaper than purchasing the regular o2003...

also uninstalling o2007 and reinstalling it, should be attempted, maybe just a few files have become corrupted...

Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

As the other say, WinXP and Word 2007 are fully compatible.

Vista on a Netbook is HORRENDOUS: don't so it. By all means check with Asus to see if it is Win7 compatible (they will have a full set of drivers for download if it is compatible). WIn7 is great on my Samsung Netbook.

But that probably won't get to the bottom of the problem. Word 2007 should be working fine with WinXP. Are you able to give us some further information on the crashing? What is she doing when it crashes? Is it any document?

One thing to note about Word (ALL versions) is that it must be able to see a locally installed printer driver, so make sure there is a locally installed printer driver set as the Windows Default printer.

Regards: Terry

tf1 said:
By all means check with Asus to see if it is Win7 compatible

That would be Win7 STARTER edition, which is meant for netbooks or other low-spec devices.

Tony

Users helping Users...

In Word 2007, with all documents closed including the blank page, have your daughter do the following:

1. Click on the Office button and then click on the "Word options" button
2. Click on "Resources" in the left hand pane (the very last item in the list)
3. Click the Diagnose button next to "run Microsoft Office diagnostics".

The above will diagnose AND fix any problems that are detected with the Word 2007 installation.

You say that the Netbook came with a temporary Word 2007 installation. How long is it good for - 30 days? 60 days? Are the problems perhaps occurring because it is past the evaluation period?

Hope this helps.

Please help us help you. Read Tek-Tips posting polices before posting.

For information.

I have an Asus EeePC 1000 HE on which I have replaced the 160Gb HDD with a 32Gb SSD and an OEM copy of WIN 7 Home Premium.

The 160Gb is attached via a USB adapter and holds masses of data (I'm a genealogist.)

I use the XP video driver for 1024 X 768 and it runs Windows Media Centre from a WAND TV stick in the USB port.

Records and replays flawlessly under battery power (6+ hours).

I also use it to SKYPE friends and that works faultlessly.

(WIN 7 was installed from a bootable USB stick that I copied the DVD contents to)

HTH

Coldan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back