Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MrxSmb freezing pc

Status
Not open for further replies.

JCrou82

Programmer
Aug 23, 2002
US
my pc keeps freezing up sporadically or it will be restarted out of nowhere. I was literally typing in this message in tek-tips when it restarted on me. and as usual my event logs show this as an error:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: MRxSmb
Event Category: None
Event ID: 8003
Date: 12/23/2004
Time: 5:09:12 PM
User: N/A
Computer: JRUSH
Description:
The master browser has received a server announcement from the computer MASCOTA that believes that it is the master browser for the domain on transport NetBT_Tcpip_{0BBE1739-3C95-46C6-9. The master browser is stopping or an election is being forced.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at Data:
0000: 00 00 00 00 03 00 4e 00 ......N.
0008: 00 00 00 00 43 1f 00 c0 ....C..À
0010: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0018: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0020: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........

I seem to get this everytime the pc freezes or restarts. I know the computer MASCOTA is another pc in the other room. I'm wonderin if the issue is on my pc or is there a virus on theirs. I'm pretty sure we're not on the same domain but i could be wrong. has anyone noticed this before? it happens almost 2 to 3 times a day if not more.

thanx

This is a fairly innocuous error message from the Computer Browser service.

Either:

. Start, Run, services.msc
And stop the Computer Browser service, then set its startup desposition state to disabled;

-or-

. See the registry changes in this MS KB:
But I suspect the computer freezing has nothing to do with the browser service.

JCrou82,

The comments for event id 8003 and source 'MRxSmb' on Eventid.com may be of use to you.

Some situations appear to apply to your situation and at least one concurs with solving the problem as bcastner indicates. Good luck.

Never doubt that a small, group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. --- Margaret Mead [ponder]

To get further information about any error look in your Event viewer (again).

Check any "Information" line that mentions "savedump" and you should find reference to "recovered from a bug check". This is the Stop Error that caused your problem. I would be surprised if it was caused just by the Computer Browsing Service.

You can also turn off "automatically restart after an error" so it will just halt at the fault and display the full Stop Error and blue screen.

Right-click My Computer, and then click Properties .
On the Advanced tab, click Settings under Startup and Recovery .
Click to clear the Automatically restart check box under System failure , and then click OK . The error message on a blue screen should remain on the screen so you can record the error information.

Thanks guys. i'll look into this and get back to you all. I hear what you guys are saying that it may not be the cause of the issue, but the reality is that everytime the PC freezes, that is the SAME error that shows up. and there are no other wanings that occur. only that error, everytime.

I'll work on the possible solutions and post back.

Check any "Information" line that mentions "savedump"".

This will not be a highlighted warning or error line, just a "common old garden" information entry, you really have to look hard to see it (you can filter search for it). After every unforced restart this "information" is included in the Event Viewer when you restart.

Make sure the Security Center and the Windows Firewall Services are Started and set to Automatic as the Computer Browser Service requires them running in SP2.

Description of the Microsoft Computer Browser service

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back