Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MPLS site to site link intergration.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDon5

Technical User
Feb 13, 2006
GB
Hi,

We are looking at installing an MPLS connection from our HQ to a new branch office. I have limited experience of MPLS links and am unsure how they work. The new branch will be covered by a single /24 subnet. To integrate this MPLS link into our network could we simply stick in some static routing pointing at the SP router? Also would we need firewalls at either end or is MPLS secure?

Any advice will be much appreciated.

i have to ask, why are you implementing MPLS?? do you have a gigantic network?? or are you purchasing MPLS service from your service provider??

I hate all Uppercase... I don't want my groups to seem angry at me all the time! =)
- ColdFlame (vbscript forum)

Oops didn't explain that very well...

The new office is located in another country and the MPLS service/link would be provided through our service provider. I'm just unsure how we would integrate it into our existing network. Would a static route pointing at the SP router at each end suffice? And would we need a firewall at each end or is MPLS secure enough?

Thanks

either a static route or see if your SP will permit you to redistribute an IGP into their BGP process. you will have your own VRF within the SP MPLS network so nobody will be able to get at you.

I hate all Uppercase... I don't want my groups to seem angry at me all the time! =)
- ColdFlame (vbscript forum)

Excellent, thanks for that. I thought it must be fairly straight forward, just getting my knickers in a twist!

Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back