Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MPLS packet loss

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeeBrown66

Technical User
Oct 2, 2013
Newbie to the forums, been coming here for a while though :)

We recently upgraded our MPLS from 1xT1 to 2xT1 (used as a P2P). Initially I was seeing a high packet loss and we determined there was a faulty T1, fixed that.
Since that time, I've been comparing tcpdump's on both sides and running some flood ping tests and I can definitely see packet loss in the order of 0.2%.
When I spoke with the Telco, they ran 20k pings while I only had about 200kb/s of traffic and they lost 8 packets. They didn't seem bothered by that at all.
I'm very familiar with IP/Ethernet and plain T1's and expect 0 packets lost.
I've been reading MPLS can drop packets (in the order of less than 0.1%) when there is high congestion.
Do I just need to accept this is a lossy connection, albeit very minor, or should I truly expect zero packet loss over MPLS. I'm just not sure what my expectations should be.

Thanks for any help -- lee

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back