Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MPLS Configuration

Status
Not open for further replies.

roomi008

Technical User
Feb 19, 2007
US
I don't know if this question should be posted in this forum or not. But please excuse me if this is not a right forum for this question.

Our company has 2 locations. One is in San Francisco and other is in Newyork. We got a MPLS from AT&T and we are looking for someone to configure it. Do you know how difficult it is to configure and how much consultants normally charge to configure it. How long does this take to configure?

There should be no configuration on your end---AT&T should be responsible for that. The MPLS circuit is their circuit. The only configs you would need are for your LAN---AT&T would probably give you Adtran or Cisco routers, capable of MPLS tagging on the WAN side. MPLS is strictly WAN, on the service provider/telco end.

Burt

I guess you have 2 possible scenarios:

1/ Your offices each consist of a layer- 2 network -in this case, your default GW address will be on the AT&T Router. You'll need to ask them to put it on their router's LAN interface.

2/ Your offices each already have a router. IN this case, your existing routers will each need to be configured with a new route pointing to the AT&T router to get to the other office.

I have this same problem. It's my first to use an MPLS VPN between our 2 sites. We didn't get the "Managed Router" option so we'll provide the Cisco router on our end.

Vince- you mentioned above changing the default GW address. I've set-up a T1 router before going to the ISP. Is this the same way you do it with MPLS VPN?

Thanks.

Your router on each site will therefore have the local subnet default GW on its "Inside" (LAN-facing) interface on each site while the "Outside" interface will be configured for the VPN-VPN link.

(I'm assuming you have no other Layer-3 device on each branch site.)

What physically does your router connect to?

Vince---he has stated that they provide their that the user does have their own equipment, and it looks like only one MPLS VPN...

So the telco sold you access to an MPLS VPN, and said, "There you go, now you can connect to it"?

Burt

Your default route on both side will be AT&T's routers. Using BGP? You'll need to inject your local routes into the MPLS cloud.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back