Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MPEG2 Jitter in Premiere 6.5 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrankin

Technical User
Nov 21, 2005
US

Perhaps someone on the Forum has experienced this problem.
I've created a 3min. sequence - animations from 3dsMAX and assembled it in Premiere 6.5. It is output, with the soundtrack to Adobe MPEG Encoder's NTSC MPEG-2 at the highest settings, Video bitrate variable, up to 9800 and Quality 50. The sound effects are all Mono.
When I play the MPG2 it runs fine on my systems and other XP systems too but on some similar systems it jitters, as if it was playing every 5th frame! All of these are newer models with XP-Prof. and similar in many ways. This occurs in both InterVideoDVD player and WinMediaPlayer9.
Anyone with a solution or pointer would be a hero!

Settings:
Video stream MPEG2,720X480,Rate 29.97,bitrate variable,
No Fields.

Thanks
John R.

I don't use Premiere 6.5 MPEG encoder unless it's a last resort. That being said, I'm usually going for a DVD burn in the end, which it doesn't sound like you are doing. It appears you just want to have your clips play on other computer systems.

I've encountered numerous times outputting from Premiere to MPEG2, only to find that the codecs Premiere uses in compressing to MPEG2 aren't always found on even the most updated systems. The troubled computer systems you refer to may not have the proper codecs, but have something close enough to play the clip, just not well. I'd bet that if you would install Premiere on those systems, then the clips would play fine.

My workaround is to output from Premiere to AVI, then use a third party encoder (e.g., TMPGEnc at to encoder to MPEG. That always seems to work with high quality results, and plays well on any system.

I agree. TMPGenc or, better still, ProCoder for encoding to MPEG footage that Premiere can't handle to your satisfaction.

But rather than output an AVI from Premiere and then processing that, much quicker and less disk space to use a frame server to feed the encoder direct from the timeline. ProCoder has one built in, but for TMPGenc, I recommend using the free frame server from

Thank you both for this info.
I do have Permiere Pro 1.5 now loaded and plan to use it to work this project. Strangely one of the systems showing the problem above did have Premiere 6.5 and just recently Pro 1.5. It still may indeed be a Codec issue. It occurs in both WMP9 and IntervideoDVD player.
BTW, since Premiere Pro has DVD burn capability would this get around the MPEG2 problem?

I apprecaiate your advice.
John R.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back