Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mpeg freezes in media player

Status
Not open for further replies.

shipmate

MIS
Dec 3, 2001
US
I have a hauppauge WinTV PVR. I record shows into Mpeg2....here's the wierd part:

If I play back the movie without fastforwarding or anything, it plays fine.

But if I try to fast forward it past the first few minutes, it freezes (althought the timeline still runs) and after 10 seconds, it restarts to the beginning of the mpeg.

I tried it on my plain work PC, it plays and fast forwards without problems. I tried it on my laptop, and it does the same thing. It also does the same thing on the same PC's with different players (superdvd, ace, etc)

I tried uninstalling all the codecs I could find, no luck...

Any ideas??? I'm stuck!!

Thanks for the reply!

What is MP 10, and where can I download it?

I downloaded and tried media player classic, and that plays the files with no problem; but still no luck in windows media player.

I tried to convert the file using winmpg (from mpg to avi) and the avi is just a black screen with a running timeline...

I am referring to Windows Media Player 10. You can download it from Microsoft. I don't know if it runs on anything except XP. If you start Media Player with your internet connection active, Media Player should tell you if there's an upgrade. MP10 works fine for me on XP Pro. If I click on the >| key, it jumps forward several seconds. Great way to get through commercials. I can also drag the location icon if I want to do it that way.

OK, I tried media player 10, it didn't work.....the only common apps on my 2 PC's that it doesn't work on are Norton Antivirus (disabled auto protect), DIVX codec and player (uninstalled), Xvid codec (uninstalled), WinDVD (uninstalled) Roxio CD creator 6 (uninstalled)

On the PC that does work with the mpeg, I have nortons corporate edition, Divx codec and player, Xvid codec and Roxio CD creator 6

This is anoying as heck.....I might try to reinstall the OS this weekend and add programs 1 at a time until something breaks it...

Any more ideas? I'm so stumped....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back