Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MPEG-2 Decoder

Status
Not open for further replies.

djdyal

Technical User
Feb 11, 2004
US
I just got finished building a new HTPC. It has a 2.4 ghz quad core AMD processor, 8 gigs of ram, 1 gig video card, blu-ray burner. I used Windows 7 64 bit as an operating system. Because I purchased the OEM version of Windows, it comes with no drivers or codecs. The drivers are no big deal because I have those that come with each component. Codecs are another matter. I have all of them I need, I think, except a DVD decoder. This is preventing me from watching DVDs from media center. I have the codecs for xp, but not Windows 7. I have searched high and low and can't find any other than home-made ones that are freeware. I did download the Roxio player which does work and includes all the codecs. However, it installed them in its own directory.

So, I have two questions for the experts. First, does anyone know where I can get the codec for the DVD decoder (MPEG-2)for Windows 7 64 bit? Second, if I identify the Roxio decoder file, could I just move it to the correct directory? I'm wondering if it has to be installed so media center and media player know they are there or if they just look in the directory for the codec and find them.

Windows 7 Home Premium, Ultimate, and Enterprise come with DVD playback capability built in. If you're running Windows 7 Home Basic or Starter, you can upgrade your edition of Windows 7 to add full DVD capability. Doesn't matter if it is an OEM version, still comes with the codecs to play DVD's out of the box.Try here..
Also unless you are ripping the blurays, or playing high end video games, that system is overkill for a media server.You would see very little to no benefit having 8 GB of ram, or a quad core cpu, over a small 2 Gb ram ,dual core machine if just using it as a media server to playback movies, or record TV.

Thanks for the help. I did go overboard on the build, but I will be ripping and burning the blu-rays at some point. Ands, I wanted this to last a long time. The Troubleshooter indicated there was no decoder. Since the DVD would not play, and I've had that problem before, I presumed that might be correct. I am using Home Premium and agree it should have come pre-installed. I did download a codec pack from CNET and it seems to be working better...not great just better. The pack seems similar to the Klite, includes ffdshow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back