Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mozilla 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ndogg

Programmer
Feb 7, 2000
US
www.crosswinds.net
Is there anyone here that has tried and/or developed for the seemingly-forever-in-beta Mozilla? I was wondering what it looks like and feels like. <p>REH<br><a href=mailto:hawkdogg@crosswinds.net>hawkdogg@crosswinds.net</a><br><a href= by Linux</a><br>Learn Linux and Leave out the Windows :)

I tried writing this response from the Mozilla release M14, but when I got to the Edit/Post page, the submit button disappeared when I moused over it--obviously some strange things are still happening with the development version. Also, when I copied my response to paste it into Netscape 4.7, it placed a few non-standard characters into the field along with my text.<br>
<br>
I have been playing with it since the M7 release, and it has definitely gotten a lot smoother. The main thing that strikes me about it is its modularity. Everything inside the Mozilla window can be given a new skin at will, similar to Neoplanet or the Lycos browser. In that sense the look and feel will vary according the user configuration.<br>
<br>
The Mozilla team completely rewrote the HTML/DHTML rendering engine, with the future of the internet in mind. The basic engine behind it is very lightweight, in contrast to the 70 MB download of the full IE5. If you download it and play with some of the bundled DHTML test pages, you will be amazed at how fast it can render, say ... 30 nested tables, for example. And it definitely supports more of an object model for Javascript and DHTML, than Netscape 4.7. In essence, it does not look, act or feel like previous versions of Netscape OR Internet Explorer. Hopefully this is a Good Thing.<br>
<br>
When the bugs are worked out, I think we developers will find that this will be a very solid platform for web applications. My main hope is that finally we will have a truly _organized_ way to deal with the browser object model, DHTML, XML, and Javascript. Microsoft has loaded its browser with features, but try to wade through and make sense of the MSDN documentation, or striking lack thereof, in certain areas.

I have been interested in Gecko/Seamonkey for quite a while now, although I have just recently begun using it. I found out about Gecko through an article at <A HREF=" TARGET="_new"> almost a year ago, but I only found that there was a downloadable version about a month and a half ago (milestone 13). Here's a small note: these milestone versions are not beta: they are pre-beta. The beta is due to come out on Mozilla's second anniversary, which I think is somewhere in the beginning of April. I have noticed improvements just from M13 to M14, although I'm still noticing bugs, and there are a few minor standards mistakes that I've noticed (justified text doesn't work in CSS, I haven't tried it for HTML 3.x). The greatest things I like are the totally new look, the totally new engine (which is great for CSS and dHTML), and the fact that it will be totally standards compliant. I think it's a great browser... It might take a second to figure out, just because it looks a lot different from what IE and Netscape have out at the moment, but there are a LOT of great features that make you wonder why browsers didn't have some of them to begin with. I'm really excited about it's release and what it might mean for the future of webdesign (finally, a standards-compliant browser!). <p>Liam Morley<br><a href=mailto:lmorley@wpi.edu>lmorley@wpi.edu</a><br><a href= imotic ::</a><br>

I'll have to second all of the above. I've been trying out their daily builds so when they would have support for some of the things that I wanted to do at my site I could tell Netscape users. Ss of yesterdays build they now include the IFRAME's redering that I need for my site. I've noticed some bugs but It gives me hope that Linux users will have a fully compliant browser soon.

Does anyone know where I can get a version of Mozila browser, I was reading the email and whant to try it out :)

What you're looking for is Netscape 6, Preview Release. It can be found at <A HREF=" TARGET="_new"> can also get this at <A HREF=" TARGET="_new"> ... That'd be my preferred method, #1 because you're getting it right from the source with a newer version. They're up to Milestone 16 at the moment (which looks like it has some neat features). I should mention though that these versions are still somewhat unstable.. so you're running a small risk. <p>Liam Morley<br><a href=mailto:lmorley@wpi.edu>lmorley@wpi.edu</a><br><a href=] :: imotic :: website :: [</a><br>"light the deep, and bring silence to the world.<br>
light the world, and bring depth to the silence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back