Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MOX16 and patch panel wiring

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrismccatgmail

IS-IT--Management
Aug 23, 2004
US
Hello...

I have a MICS with several MOX16 units. I'm adding another one soon. The others all have a cable with an amphenol connector for the MOX side and individual wires punched down into a 24 port patch panel.

Is there any reason why I can't use a patch panel with a amphenol connector instead of punch down connectors? e.g. Part # ICMPP024T4 from
It would seem that pluging in a connector would be a lot easier and less likely to be wrong than punching down all those wires.

yes? no? maybe?

You can punch it to a patch panel if you like. As far as mistakes are concerned, a patch panel will not help you avoid more mistakes when compared to a punch down block. It is all relative to the techs skill. Adding a patch panel just adds one more element to the equation. Any time you increase complexity, you are going to increase your chances of a mistake, or a connection that is bad. On the other hand sticking with what you already have in place will contribute to x-connect field that is easy to understand, and logical (if it was terminated by a professional.)

Chris:

Preconnectorized patch panels work great IF they are wired correctly. The part number you reference is a 24 Port patch panel with 24 2pair/4 conductor ports. This means that Ports 1-8 on the patch panel have 2 stations
on each port and I don't think that you want to try and split them out on the patch cords side?? Do you? That is why the installers punched down the cable so that they could have each station port on a single patch panel port and not 2 station ports on a single patch panel port. I hope that this helps and is clear!

The 4389 sounds right. It look slike it is 2 wires per jack, which is correct. Only ports 1 > 16 will work, but that's ok.

When we do this I use an Ortronics 16 port patch panel and we just punch it down. That way there is no wasted jacks.
I guess you could get a 48 port and hope you need to add 2 more 0x16's in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back