Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Moving WSS3 Database from SQL 2005 to SQL 2008

Status
Not open for further replies.

irbk

MIS
Oct 20, 2004
US
Have WSS3 installed on a VM running Server 2003. The front end server isn't changing at all. What is changing is the back end database needs to be moved from an old server running SQL 2005 to a new server running SQL 2008. I've found this article: but it says that "The new database server must use the same version of Windows Server and SQL Server as the old database server." which is not what I have. I've seen other people post that the article is incorrect and by following the directions in the article you can migrate from one SQL 2005 server to an SQL 2008 server. Wondering if anyone has experience with this or a better white paper to follow? Again, only the DB's need to move to a new server with a new name (and the old server is still in place running DB's so an SQL Alias isn't an option) the front end server isn't changing at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back