Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Moving WSS database

Status
Not open for further replies.

rparsons1000

Technical User
May 19, 2005
US
I need to move my database which is currently running on the same server as WSS on SQL2003 to our SQL cluster. So far from what I understand I can just do a backup & restore of the config & content databases then connect to the restored config DB, remove the content DB from the admin page then connect to the new restored DB in the admin page. Will that do the trick ot am I going about it wrong?

It has been awhile, since I moved a config database, so I will defer on this one.

However, you are right on the money for content databases. I perform a sql server backup to a *.bak file. I move the *.bak file to the new server. I restore the *.bak file as a new database. I go into sharepoint central administration add the content database. ( Central Administration > Configure Virtual Server Settings > click on Web Site > Manage Content Databases > Add Content Database > Specify database server settings > Enter database server name & datbase name).

If you are simply moving the sql server database, for performance, failover, space reasons to a cluster. Then I would move the content database first before the config database. I would remove the content database from the existing environment within central administration. Then I would perform the backup and restore as listed above. Once you have confirmned that the new database on the new environment is working well. I would delete all traces of the content database on the local server.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back