Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Moving vpath disks from Old server to New server.

Status
Not open for further replies.

AIXdream

Technical User
Mar 27, 2007
US
Hello everyone,
I need some help with commands on performing this activity. I am moving Storage disks vpath from the old system to new server

I have figure out this.
1-Unmount the filesystems
umount -f /filesystem
2-Varoff the vg s
varyoffvg vgname
3-Export the vg s
exportvg vgname
4-Remove the vpath and/or hdisk definitons from old system

I need help removing these vpath and/or hdisk defination from old systems I need commands to identify and remove disks

on the new system;
1-Give the disks to the new system from disk management
2-Change the zoning on the SAN switch
3-If needed install SDD or MPIO and host attachment scripts
3-cfgmgr

4-Get the pvids with chdev
Need help with commands and assiging the vpath and disks correctly.

5-Import the vg s on one of the disks
importvg vgname
6-Mount the filesystems
mount /filesystems

I need help with the vpath part of this whole activity any help will be appreciated alot.

Thank in advance.

What storage system is it? Will you need to remove all vpaths/disks afterwards?

The following is an example for the 2105/2107 storage system, to remove all vpaths

rmdev -dl dpo -R (will remove all vpaths)

to remove disks:

lsdev -C -t 2105* -F name (will list the disks, if you are on 2107 change the 2105 part)

lsdev -C -t 2105* -F name | xargs -n1 rmdev -dl (will remove all disks)

If you only want to remove vpaths/disks that don't belong to a volume group you will need to manually remove each vpath and it's hdisks or script it, you can find the hdisks for each vpath by doing lsvpcfg|grep vpathx

When importing them into the new server you shouldn't have to do anything much as long as you know which vpaths belong to a volume group, then it's just

importvg -y volumegroupname vpath

I need to remove 3VGS out of many other VGS. each VG has 10vpaths and 4hdisks in each vpath. this is IBM San Vol Controller.

I am trying to move to SAN from old server to new server.
Please help me with this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back